Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Sight Word Poems


I found this great sight word poetry book from Scholastic last year. 
It has 100 fill-in-the-blank poems using common sight words. It's a great way for the kiddos to spell, write and read sight words while completing a fun poem. With our 'fun fat crayons' (the large Kindergarten crayons), I have my kiddos highlight lots of other things in the poems as well. If we have been working on l-blends we will color them blue. We might mark all the capital letters green and punctuation marks red. They like to find the rhyming words and connect them. The sky is the limit. There are soooo many things you can do with just one poem. My firsties look forward to doing one poem a week. 
My kids have a binder where we collect all our poems and songs. They like to read and sing the songs as one of their 'just right' books in Daily 5. Then at the end of the school year they get to take it home. It's just a fun way to get familiar, just right text in the hands of my kids.

I hope everyone is having a great week! Thanks for stopping by.


No comments: